I asked Lisa Michaud, President of a Denver based Social Media company to write a blog for us on what small and medium business owners should know and do in Social Media. It’s a great post for all business owners interested in utilizing social media to grow their relationships and business.
Set It and Forget it? Not true in Social Media Marketing
So often when I am working with clients on their social media efforts, they comment “Well, I haven’t really looked at it lately.” I am always a bit amazed. While social media can drain time from your business if not done strategically, not looking at your social channels can also leave money on the table. One of the most important strategic exercises you can engage with daily is commenting on your channels and other people’s postings.
Just as a refresher, social media is not just about pipeline development. The overall goal for social marketing is to build relationships with your customers, clients, prospects, partners and vendors in order to:
- Increase revenue through direct communication to target audience
- Increase profit through deeper relationships with current clients = client retention and brand ambassadors
- Increased Brand recognition – Viral marketing effect
- Brand monitoring – understand what your market place is saying about you and/or your industry
- Marketing research – ask questions to understand your market place needs
- Pipeline development – create new clients through viral marketing & brand ambassadors.
- Ensure that you remain relevant and live within your industry
- Asset to company – ready to sell or find investors? Built in marketplace
- Generate site traffic – keywording, SEO links are incorporated into some social sites (LI, TW, FB)
Keep the pulse on the conversations daily or at least weekly to show your audience that you care about your network. If you don’t look at it, neither will your audience.
The Startup Launcher
Social Media Systems Designed to Empower Your Voice
- Encouraging social media engagement – 10 top tips (simplybusiness.co.uk)